Leadership personnel issues and the rules of law
For this assignment, keep in mind that for law enforcement agencies to be successful in the future, it is more important than ever for municipalities and departments to identify, recruit, and employ a well-trained and professional police force. From making arrests, to using proper force, to understanding technological devices, to dealing with individuals with mental issues, police officers are increasingly performing many different roles. And in their efforts to provide its citizens with a properly trained and professional police force, municipalities need to know that officers are adhering to their training and operating under established policies and procedures.
Write a 6–8 page paper in which you answer the following questions:
- Identify the best practices being employed by law enforcement agencies in the United States to attract and hire those candidates who will be successful in meeting the demands of police officers in the changing future.
- Identify the skills that need to be imparted upon recruits during their training in order for them to be successful in all roles of law enforcement. What additional training and/or changes would you recommend?
- Identify how police academies are preparing police recruits for the various duties and assignments that they will be responsible for in turbulent and changing conditions.
- Identify five constraints placed on police officers and examine how these constraints affect how officers conduct their operations and perform their duties.
- Identify best practices used by police supervisors to ensure that officers are performing professionally and within department guidelines. Also identify best practices utilized by supervisors when officers are found to be in violation of their oath, training, and organizational rules.
- Go to Basic Search: Strayer University Online Library to locate and use at least four quality sources for this assignment.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references should follow the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS).
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Examine management of front-line police officers, including hiring, training, and accountability.