Activity adaptation: dyslexia ed 5420
Select an activity or lesson you observed in the classroom, or one that would occur regularly in an early childhood classroom, and describe in detail how it could be modified to:
- Facilitate the participation of children with dyslexia.
- Be culturally sensitive for children from diverse cultures who show characteristics of dyslexia.
- Accommodate the IFSP/IEP goals for students who show characteristics of dyslexia.
- Use developmentally appropriate instructional strategies for children who show characteristics of dyslexia.
- Foster expression of the ideas, needs, and desires of children who show characteristics of dyslexia.
- When necessary, refer to appropriate professionals to meet the unique needs of children who show characteristics of dyslexia.
- Address any other steps that would be taken to address outcomes of interventions or lack of interventions available for students who show characteristics of dyslexia.
If possible, look at a teacher’s book and make a photocopy of a lesson. Then, look at the goals pages for special needs students in the class. This will allow you to show how the modifications you suggest for the lesson or activity account for the goals on the goals sheets of these students. (You can also then use these goals and incorporate them in your progress monitoring plan, which is due in Unit 8.) In any case, it is important that you explain the specific goals of your adaptations,
should be 3–4 pages long. Support your statements with APA citations from the course resources and other readings, together with your interviews and observations.
To protect confidentiality, please do not mention real names of those you observe or their school.