Measurement is the start of all quality management initiatives. Measurement answers the question, “How are we doing?” The next step in the cycle is assessment, which asks, “Are we meeting expectations?” If you are not meeting the desired outcomes, this is the initiation of improving performance. To ensure identification of the correct improvement efforts, the quality management team must have the knowledge of analyzing data to “tell the story” related to the current state. The measurement phase in quality management is not only used at the beginning of quality management but also is used throughout to evaluate success or failures.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Describe the importance of structure, process, and outcome measures.
- Graph data pre- and post-intervention.
- Provide high-level recommendations for improving patient satisfaction based on the data presented.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Read the following chapters in Introduction to Healthcare Quality Management:
- Chapter 3, “Measuring Performance”
- Chapter 4, “Evaluating Performance”
- View the video Science of Improvement: Establishing Measures.
- Review the hypothetical data to support the assignment “Redwood Health Center – Wait Times and Satisfaction” case study.
- In a three- to five-page research paper (excluding title and reference pages), respond to the following prompts:
- Provide an overview of the Redwood Health Center case study.
- Outline the importance of each measurement category (structure, process, and outcome measures).
- Review Redwood Health Center case study in Chapter 3, “Measuring Performance.”
- Using the “Redwood Health Center – Wait Times and Satisfaction” data, provide at least two charts or graphs to display the data. Provide an explanation of the significance of the data to the Redwood Health Center case study. The data graphs should be added to Appendix A of your assignment. To generate the tables and graphs, you may use a resource such as Microsoft Excel.
- Provide biblical insights related to compassion in this case study.
- Based on spiritual compassion, what would be your recommendation for improving wait times and patient satisfaction?