Taking into account all the readings and media assignments, all your papers and discussions, and your personal and professional experiences in this course, you will complete a comprehensive final course quality improvement proposal, due the final week of the course. In this hypothetical assignment, you will act as if you have been employed as a healthcare quality management consultant to address an area of quality deficiency within the healthcare organization; identify where problems exist in alignment with the Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) National Quality Strategy; and produce a 10- to 15-page proposal outlining a successful pilot completed at the healthcare organization. Along with the group assignment, there will be an individual assignment of a 10- to 12-slide presentation that will be given to the hospital’s board of directors.
Your proposal will encompass a minimum of the following:
- Title of improvement project/proposal
- Executive summary of proposal information
- Overview of healthcare organization
- Rationale for support with a disparate population
- Alignment of AHRQ National Quality Strategy (including National Quality Strategy priorities and levers)
- Alignment of accreditation groups
- A charter, using Exhibit 7.2 in the textbook (see Chapter 7, “Improvement Project Teams”)
- Outcome of a pilot using a performance improvement model (PDSA, FOCUS PDSA, Lean, and other change tactics). Outlining components of each step in the performance improvement model (including data and other tools).
While this is a hypothetical situation, you will need to be creative and make a reasonable attempt at producing a realistic proposal. This will require research on previous projects with similar problem statements.
During Workshop One, you should have designated a group leader to oversee the overall writing and deadlines associated with the group assignment. The group leader is not responsible for writing the overall proposal. An equitable division of assigned tasks is the most effective approach to producing a successful proposal.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Define what factors influence stakeholders’ perceptions of quality medical products and services.
- Align the National Quality Strategy with those areas impacting the delivery of quality care in a healthcare setting.
- Illustrate the use of charter and other tools to approach quality improvement.
- Outline the development of quality management teams.
- Explain the use of quality tools to improve performance and minimize errors.
- Illustrate the deployment of continuous quality improvement among a disparate population.
Your instructor divided the class into groups. Each team will produce its own 10- to 15-page proposal for a healthcare organization selected by the team. Each member should take on responsibilities and deliver results according to the timeline outlined by the group and group leader. Team building, division of proposal task, and deadlines should be employed to complete the assignment by Workshop Five.
The proposal should reflect mature and careful consideration of the organization and be delivered in a professional manner, with clear goals, assessment tools, deadlines, troubleshooting criteria, and expected results for the problems and successes identified.
One- to two-page reflection papers with updates on the project’s progress are due in Workshops One, Two, Three, and Four. The reflection papers will ensure each student is prepared to individually develop a 10- to 12-slide presentation covering the components of the proposal in Workshop Five.
- For this week, each member of the group will submit a one- to two-page reflection paper that names the group’s selected quality improvement topic, the disparate population of focus, and selected performance improvement model (selected from a performance improvement model in Chapter 5, “Continuous Improvement”. Each group member will respond to the following:
- Provide a brief overview of the quality improvement topic.
- What are the pertinent process and outcome measures essential to the success of the quality improvement project?
- Provide feedback on the group’s performance. What is the current state of the team dynamics (forming, storming, norming, or performing)?