career development plan
Students will complete TriMetrix assessment and use their results to formulate a career development plan to create a unique identity/brand for themselves.
Prepare your own five-year career development plan about ‘What do you intend to do professionally in the next 5 years (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, 4th & 5th year)’? Your plan must be presented in time-line format (This can be done using MS Project and multiple other software). Your plan will also be assessed on the basis of how creative your timeline is. Simple timelines (a simple table of one made using word) will be marked down. Be very specific with your timeline, provide dates for when you will achieve different things mentioned in your timeline. For instance, if you mention in your timeline, you will attempt an exam provide a DATE of when you will attempt that exam. Also include the COSTS associated with completing different activities. Your career plan must address and consider the following items:
1. What are your career objectives? What position, field or industry do you want to work in/for? (To be answered in introductory paragraph – Max 1 page)
o Which province in Canada and why? (This needs to be supported with job market analysis such as employment options, field attractiveness- current job openings within your field, income potential/salary rates across different provinces– I want to see a lot of statistics in here – Don’t make this section descriptive – use graphs, pie-charts, salary benchmarking tables from federal and provincial reliable sources)
2. If you in intend to work for an organization, what are the possible promotional opportunities for career growth and what senior level position do you wish to obtain? How long will it take for you to obtain your next promotion within your field? What certificate will be needed for promotion? how many years of experience will be required for the promotion? (Again, maximum one page in writing and also included these promotions in your timeline)
3. An inventory of your current skills, abilities, training, and education and the required qualifications for your desired position? (Strictly use a table to outline your current education as well as all job-specific skills, certificates etc., that you have. Only mention the certificates/degrees acceptable in Canada, see NOC website for reference)
4. From your time- line Identify three action steps that are crucial to achieving your stated career development plan. These steps are usually those without which your plan cannot proceed. (Put a heading action steps and describe them in short paragraphs- 3-4 lines maximum)
5. Identify potential barriers that might prevent you from reaching your stated career goals and objectives. (In bullet points – make sure they are all realistic and applicable to you. Just imagine what problems would you face while starting your professional career in Canada)
You can use https://www.ganttproject.biz/download/gp30 for your timeline.
APA writing conventions should be followed in the plan with sources/ websites referred to, properly referenced and cited including in APA format, the report must demonstrate analysis of the material and its application to the workplace.