Analysis paper about vampire （’dracula’ by bram stoker）
Write an analysis paper with a clearly defined thesis. Choose ONE of the following prompts:
Topic 1: Orientalism. What are some of the ways in which the novel Dracula (and the Count himself) represent a Western fear of “reverse colonization” or “infection” by the “exotic” East? How does the novel try to define the West in a positive light?
Topic 2: Discuss the role of sexuality and/or gender in Dracula. What does the novel suggest about sexual behavior and/or views of women’s roles in society in Victorian England?
Topic 3: Dracula (the novel) includes many references to scientific and technological advances in the late-19th century, the Christian religion, and the occult / superstition. How does the novel illuminate this “triple-belief” (“troeverie”) system? Which character(s) best exemplify either the conflict or reconciliation of these themes?
- Your paper should be at least 750 words long. Maximum word count is 1,500 words. You should use Calibri 11 or Times New Roman 12 font, double-spaced, in formal / academic language, with regular, non-adjusted margins.
- You must clearly include a word count (“858 words”) at the end of your paper.
- Be sure to italicize film titles and novel titles, and to put story titles in quotes. Review other items in the grading rubric below.
- Be sure to introduce any quotes you might use in the paper. When citing a quote from a work read for the course, make sure to include the page number, like so (24). When citing a specific scene in a film, please include a time mark to help orient your reader. For example: “Ginger’s gestures at the 15:33-15:43 mark show her disapproval.”
- Include a title for your paper
- You do NOT need to include a bibliography unless using works that were NOT read for the course or part of the course materials. If you include outside works, you should create a “Works Cited” page at the end of your paper in which you list your citations in either MLA or APA style (your choice). A works cited page does not count towards the 750-word requirement.
- Only .doc, .docx, or .pdf file formats will be accepted.
- FILES SUBMITTED IN .odt or .pages FORMATS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR CREDIT.
- You should NOT summarize the texts or worry about re-telling ideas or a plot (if discussing a narrative); assume the reader is familiar with the texts referenced. No more than 50 words may be devoted to plot synopsis. You need to react and respond to the materials, making connections which will lead to analysis. Any personal opinions included in the essay should be based on thoughtful analysis of the topic and materials themselves.