Rsss response paper about vampire
You have to read two articles
1. “Gender Roles in the 19th Century” by Professor Kathryn Hughes
2. “Carmilla” which is attached bellow. Page numbers are located on the left-side margin. Read pp 53-77; 93-97 (Chapters 1-7 and 15-16) of J.S. LeFanu’s Carmilla
1. In Le Fanu’s “Carmilla” does the figure of the vampire enforce or disrupt Victorian ideas about gender and sexuality? Your paper should have at least 1 quote or paraphrase from the secondary article by Kathryn Hughes and at least 1 quote or paraphrase from “Carmilla.”
The minimum word-count for this assignment is 350-words; the maximum word-count is 600 words.
Ideally, you will structure your paper as follows.
- A clear statement of your main idea or thesis on the subject.
- Connections between the topic and the course material (readings and class discussions)
- A brief summation and a final statement that represents the key take-away / idea from your paper.
You may deviate from this structure, but the majority of the paper should be given to drawing your own connections between the course materials. You do not have a lot of space, so be sure to get straight to the point and not worry about making a lengthy introduction or conclusion.
You should consider the course materials both individually and collectively. Consider the any key claims or arguments from the materials, the strengths and weaknesses of authors’ arguments, possible counterarguments, how the texts relate to one another (do they agree or disagree?, formulate the problem in different ways?, strengthen or weaken each other’s argument?), and why the problem(s) or argument(s) are interesting or important.
You should NOT summarize the texts or worry about re-telling ideas or a plot (if discussing a narrative); assume the reader is familiar with the texts referenced. No more than 50 words may be devoted to plot synopsis. You need to react and respond to the materials, making connections which will lead to analysis. Any personal opinions included in the essay should be based on thoughtful analysis of the topic and materials themselves.