What is the difference between a civil proceedings such as a PFA and a criminal proceedings or criminal charges? Consider the following in your responses:
- Who files the initiating paperwork?
- What are the stages in the two proceedings?
- What are the differences in burdens of proof?
- Right to counsel
- Range of consequences faced if allegations are proven
- Collateral consequences
- What other differences do you perceive?
Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of civil and criminal proceedings for the victim.
- How do each of the systems affect victims directly and indirectly?
- Why might a victim file a PFA but not call the police to press criminal charges?