#5 | American history homework help
Discussion #5: How progressive was the Progressive Era?
The Progressive era stands out as a time when reformers sought to address social ills brought about by a rapidly changing society. Debates surrounded issues such as political corruption, the regulation of business practices, racial equality, women’s suffrage and the living conditions of impoverished immigrants overcrowded into urban slums.
In order to prepare for this discussion forum:
- Review and identify the relevant sections of Chapter 22 that support your discussion.
- Read Booker T. Washington’s speech The Atlanta Compromise
After you have completed your readings post a response to only ONE of the following questions.
- Compare and contrast the ideas of Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Du Bois. In your opinion, which of these two men had a better plan? Explain why.
- When it came to the issue of suffrage, did all women agree? Explain.
- Which social problem was Jacob Riis addressing through his work? How did he communicate the severity of this problem?
In order to earn the full 100 points (100%) for this assignment, you must:
- Directly and completely answer at least ONE question. Please make sure that you clearly indicate which question you have chosen to discuss. Clearly and accurately explain your answer based on factual information contained in the assigned readings. (80 points)
- Students must respond to at least one fellow student’s posting explaining the reason(s) for their agreement or disagreement, with the arguments that have been presented, in order to get full credit for the discussion. (20 points)
- When posting your response to a fellow student’s comment, please try whenever possible, to select the question that you did not address for your discussion.
- Make sure that all statements are supported with facts from the reading selections.
Reminder: Please make sure to comply with all Netiquette Guidelines listed in the Getting Started module.