This Competency Assessment assesses the following outcome(s):
MN507-3: Recommend public policy options to meet the needs of various stakeholders.
For this Assignment, you will create a slide and audio presentation in which you will present information to support the passage of HR 5223. You may use PowerPoint, Google Slides, or another presentation software of your choosing. Your audio presentation should put forth a convincing argument based on your research and should be designed as if you were addressing a group of legislators whose support you are trying to obtain.
Your slide and audio presentation must address:
- A description of current risks that healthcare providers face from violence in the workplace.
- Information from professional nursing associations which support your argument for minimizing the risk of violence in the healthcare setting.
- Identification of a theoretical or regulatory model which would be applicable to the passage of HR 5223.
- Identification of stakeholders who will benefit from the passage of HR 5223 and how they would benefit.
- Potential barriers to passage of HR 5223 and how they can be overcome.
- Include a minimum of 8 slides (not counting the title or reference slide).
- Your slides should contain speaker notes, to assist in your audio delivery.
- Your slides should be professional in appearance and tone, and reflect a thoughtful and meaningful application of your research to your argument. Speak clearly and convincingly. Your presentation should not be longer than 10 minutes.
- You must include a minimum of (5) different scholarly references.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA formatting and citation style.
Submit your Assignment to the Competency Assessment Dropbox.
- Save a copy of your work.
- Confirm that your Assignment file uploaded correctly.
Minimum Submission Requirements
- This Assessment should be a Microsoft Powerpoint presentation.
- Respond to the questions in a thorough manner, providing specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements asked for in the questions. Your presentation should be highly organized, logical, and focused.
- Your presentation must be written in Standard English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, and grammar and mechanics.
- Your presentation should provide a clearly established and sustained viewpoint and purpose.
- Your writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- A separate slide at the end of your presentation should contain a list of references, in APA format. Use your textbook, the Library, and the internet for research.
- Be sure to cite both in-text and reference list citations where appropriate and reference all sources. Your sources and content should follow proper APA citation style. Review the APA formatting and citation style found in the Writing Center. To access the Writing Center, select this link. (It should include a cover slide, be double spaced, in Times New Roman 12-point font, correct citations, Standard English with no spelling or punctuation errors, and correct references on the last slide.)
If work submitted for this competency assessment does not meet the minimum submission requirements, it will be returned without being scored.
Plagiarism is an act of academic dishonesty. It violates the University Honor Code, and the offense is subject to disciplinary action. You are expected to be the sole author of your work. Use of another person’s work or ideas must be accompanied by specific citations and references. Whether the action is intentional or not, it still constitutes plagiarism.
For more information on University’s Plagiarism policy, refer to the current University Catalog.