Normalization of human trafficking | Social Science homework help
Do an internet search and analyze the lyrics of a song that glamorizes/glorifies pimping, and/or the acceptance of the objectification of women, and/or the normalization of human trafficking.
1) Somewhere at the top of your page, indicate the name of the song and the artist. You must include a link to the lyrics of the song within the assignment.
2) Discuss your interpretation of the song. Questions to address in your response:
- Discuss the use of terms or phrases that signal the acceptance of the objectification of women, glamorize pimping, or normalize human trafficking
- Discuss the power dynamics at play here
- Discuss any inequality, oppression, and/or discrimination at play
- Discuss if and how these problems are value-laden
For example, if they are mentioned, discuss how the terms “pimp” or “hoe” are used in the music lyrics. Is the way they are used problematic? What does the use of these words imply? Does the use of the words suggest the normalization of human trafficking? If these words aren’t used, what other term(s) or phrase(s) may be used that suggest the same thing?
3) What role do male consumers have in perpetrating popular culture through music lyrics that marginalize, victimize, and oppress women?
4) Explain the oppression and exploitation presented in the song lyrics through the lens of Critical Race Theory and Intersectionality (gender, race and ethnicity, socioeconomic status, nativity, immigration status, and others). This is your chance to show me that you’ve done the reading. The more connections you make to the text, the more points you will earn for this question. Your connections to the text should be strong, specific, and numerous.
In addition to using the textbook, you must also properly use two (2) academic sources.